Frequently Asked Questions


 What are the City's office hours?

City Hall - Administration, Planning, Building & Safety, Code Enforcement & Finance
Monday through Thursday 7 a.m. until 6 p.m.
CLOSED everyday between 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm.
Public Works Department 
Monday through Thursday  5:30 a.m. until 4 p.m.
Animal Control - Palms N' Paws
Tuesday through Friday 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m. / Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. 
(Closed Sunday and Monday)
Parks and Recreation 
Monday through Friday 1 p.m. until 6 p.m.

 Where is the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center?

Take State Highway 62 to the intersection of Adobe Road in Downtown, Twentynine Palms turn north, left if traveling east or right if traveling west.  Adobe Road takes you to the Main Gate and Base Visitor's Center where you can get a pass to enter the base.  You must have all proper identification, insurance and a military sponsor to receive a pass to enter the base.  Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center.

 How do I contact my State Senate, State Assembly or United States Congressional Representatives?

Use this online service to find your State Senate, State Assembly or United States Congressional Representative, for information on how you can contact them  Click Here.

You can also click on the names below to go to their webpage. 

Governor Gavin Newsome

U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein

U.S. Senator Alex Padilla 

Congressman Jay Obernolte

Assemblyman Chad Mayes - 42nd District

Senator Shannon Grove - 16th District

Supervisor Dawn Rowe - San Bernardino Third District Supervisor

 Where is the Department of Motor Vehicles?

The Department of Motor Vehicles Twentynine Palms Branch is located at:

3668 Adobe Rd,
Twentynine Palms, CA 92277
(Himalaya Plaza - on the corner of Indian Trail and Adobe Road)
Telephone Number: (800) 777-0133

 Who do I call to start trash service, order trash cans or recycle bins?

To start trash service, order trash cans or recycle bins please contact Burrtec Waste and Recycling. You can also  schedule a large or bulky item pick up with Burrtec Waste and Recycling by giving them a call.

For more information contact them online at or via telephone at: (760)365-2015.

 Do I need a permit to conduct a yard sale?

Residents of the City of Twentynine Palms are allowed four (4) yard sales per year without a City permit. Residents must obtain a permit for all additional yard sales within the same year (after four (4) yard sales) and can do so by contacting the City Planning Department. Click HERE to view the Municipal Code.
For further information contact the Planning Department at (760) 367-6799 ext.1006/1007.

 Who do I contact for a City Business License?

According to the City of Twentynine Palms Municipal Code Chapter 5.01 no person shall engage in any business within the City without a valid business license issued pursuant to this Chapter 5.01 or without complying with any and all regulations applicable to such business, unless exempted pursuant to Section 5.01.130A separate business license shall be required for each branch establishment or location of a business within the City. The business license application process may take up to 15 business days to be processed. For Vacation Home Rentals please visit the Community Development or the Apply ONLINE tab on the City's webpage.


To obtain a business license the following is required:

    1. Complete the Business License Application process online. To apply for a City of Twentynine Palms, Business Licenses you can click HERE.
    2. Valid State Issued ID for all the owners.
    3. If conducting a business in a home, you will be required to apply for a Home Occupation Permit. You must be the owner of the home and if renting you must provide a letter of authorization from the owner or the property manager.
    4. If an LLC or Corporation, you must provide the Articles of Incorporation with the list of Corporate Officers.
    5. If a business requires additional State or County Documents those must be submitted with your application (Health Permit, Contractor License, ABC Liquor License, Massage Technician Permit, etc.)
    6. Remit the full payment for the Business License.


For questions regarding applications and renewals please call (760)367-6799 ext.1040. 

To make payments over the phone please call (760)367-6799 extension 1001.

 Who do I contact in regards to my Property Taxes and Deeds?

* Due to COVID-19  All Assessor services remain available by mail, email, and phone. For in-person assessor services, please call your local assessor office to schedule an appointment.

Services: Joshua Tree Assessor District Office

63665 29 Palms Highway
Joshua Tree, CA 92252

Phone: (760)366-1420
Fax:  (760) 366-1421

Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm

For information pertaining to your property taxes or for copies of your deed you will need to contact the San Bernardino County Assessors office. For more information please call or visit their website at: 

 How do I apply for a Vacation Home Rental or Short-Term Rental Permit?

A Vacation Home Rental (VHR) is a permitted short-term rental of any detached single-family dwelling or any portion of any detached single-family dwelling for occupancy, dwelling, lodging or sleeping purposes for a minimum of two consecutive nights, but no more than 30 consecutive calendar days in duration. "Short-term rental" is included in the definition of "hotel" for purposes of collecting transient occupancy tax pursuant to Chapter 3.24 of the Municipal Code. A Vacation Home Rental shall be considered a short-term rental for purposes of Chapter 19.41 of the Municipal Code. Before you start the application process, please verify that your residence is within the city limits by using Community View to verify if located in the incorporated area of the City. To use Community View click HERE.


Currently the application process can take up to 90 days to complete. It is important that you have the following in order to effectively apply:

    1. Ownership - Property must be in your name. If applying on behalf of a property owner, you must have a Notarized Letter of Authorization from the owner. All owners of the Property must be listed. If the property is owned by a LLC, then the LLC must be listed on the application as the owner (Copy of the Articles of Organization with the Corporate Officers listed must be included.
    2. Valid State Issued ID.
    3. Insurance Certificates - Your premise or your personal Liability must be in the amount of $1,000,000. 
    4. Septic Certification - Cannot be more than one year old.
    5. Detailed Site Plan of the residence with dimensions and all rooms labeled.


To apply for a City of Twentynine Palms Vacation Home Rental permit please click HERE.


Please note: It is illegal to operate, list, or advertise any property as a Vacation Home Rental or Short-Term Rental before a permit and business license has been approved and issued by the City.


If your residence is located in the unincorporated area, contact the San Bernardino County - Short Term Rental - Click HERE

 Where do I get a Birth Certificate or Marriage License?

Unfortunately the City of Twentynine Palms does not have access to these records.  They can be obtained from the County of San Bernardino or in most cases at the State you were born or married in. The County of San Bernardino Assessor-Recorder Office offers these services at their Joshua Tree Satellite Office located at:

63665 Twentynine Palms Hwy,
1st Floor, Joshua Tree, CA 92252

The Recorder-Clerk service hours are strictly by appointments at this time.

Local County information:

Birth Certificates (San Bernardino County only)

Birth Certificates (Riverside County only)

Marriage License

San Bernardino County or Call (760) 995-8065.

Riverside County or Call (951) 955-6200.

 Who do I contact to rent a park shelter?

Contact the City of Twentynine Palms Parks and Recreation Office (760)367-6799 extension 1021

Applications for all facility rentals can be found under Parks and Recreation.

 Who do I contact if I am having issues with my Landlord/Tenant?

Landlord and Tenants often have disputes and may need help to find an agreeable solution to their current conflict. The Inland  Fair Housing and Mediation Board can help with Landlord and Tenants disputes, they are a neutral third party that can help facilitate negotiations, provide you with education on housing rights and responsibilities. They can also provide confidential one-on one counseling and group workshops on Default/Forclosure Counseling, Reverse Mortgage Counseling, Rental Counseling, Displacement/Homeless Counseling, Financial Literacy Education, First-Time Homebuyer Education and Unfair Lending Investigations.

They also provide Senior Services for individuals 55 and older with concerns related to Social Security, Medi-Cal, Utility Companies, collection agencies, neighbor disputes and more. Services include mediation and problem solving, Housing and resource referrals, Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) application assistance and West End Senior Newsletter.

For more information you can go online to: or you can call them at (909) 888-3763.

 Where is Joshua Tree National Park?

From Four Corners which is the intersection of State Highway 62 and Adobe Road in downtown Twentynine Palms travel one mile east on Hwy 62 to Utah Trail turn right.  The Joshua Tree National Park Cultural Center is in Downtown Twentynine Palms at 6533 Freedom Way and North Entrance to the National Park is  located on Utah Trail.  This is the best entry point on busy weekends.  The North Entrance is 12 miles east of the Joshua Tree entrance and can save you up to 45 minutes or more of waiting in line.  JTNP

 Is there a direct road in the High Desert to Las Vegas, Nevada?

Yes, there is a direct road in the High Desert that crosses the Mojave National Preserve towards Nevada. Before using this route ensure that your vehicle is in great condition. This area is desolate and cellphone service is unreliable due to its remote location.

While crossing the Mojave National Preserve make sure to obey the posted speed limits, traffic signs and watch out for Wildlife Crossing the roads. There are No Services for 140 miles, therefore make sure to fill up your tank, check your vehicle fluids, check your tires, take food and water prior to departing the City of Twenytnine Palms.

For a map with directions CLICK HERE.